Search This Blog

GBS 1952

 The first school in the vicinity of Green Bank was erected in 1780. It was a typical pay school of that period;

the fee was paid by boarding the teacher a certain length of time, according to the number of scholars in the school. 

As Green Bank became a larger place than a one-house-town, a school was erected below the town at what 
was then known as the Crossroads, and named after the location. The school lasted until the year 1820. and then 
a school was built on what is now the property of John R. Gum which was then known as Cartmill Creek. This 
school served the purpose of educationg die pioneer children for a decade or more. 

As churches were built with better regard to the density of the people, the session rooms became the school 
house, the session room of Liberty Church being one of the most important in Green Bank Community. The session 
room schools were usually taught by the pastor, and if the pastor did not teach, outside teachers would teach a 
term of three months for a dollar a scholar if there were as many as ten scholars. 

The session room schoolslasted until 1842, when the Green Bank Academy was erected where the Odd Fellows 
Lodge Hall now stands in Green Bank. This was the first free school and was first taught by Professor Benjamin 
Arbogast who had influenced die founding of it. The usual number attending was from sixty-five to seventy-five. 
This school was part of the Academy program of the County which called for the erection of three academies; at 
Green Bank. Huntersville, and Hillsboro. These three buildings were of brick and were the most modern buildings 
in the county. Most of the people in Green Bank District sent their children to this school. These scholars boarded 
at Green Bank for there was no methods of conveyance from the more distant homes. 

When a student had finished this school he could attend Institute for a week, and then pass a test given and 
prepared by the County Superintendent and become qualified for a teaching position. Green Bank District had 
its own Board of Education at that time, so the teachers went before them to qualify for a job. But they had to have 
as many as two trustees of the three to sign their contract before the job was forthcoming: the salary being about 
sixty dollars per month. 

A few months after the Civil War. the building was remodeled and changed to a two-storied one and remained, 
the "Advanced School". It had a high standard of education. 
 The old Academy served until 1916; the last session being taught by C. E. Flynn, who later became County 
Superintendent. Its place was taken by the High School. 

In the year 1916. John W. Goodsell. President of the Board of Education, with the aid of Dr. Leland Moomau. 
founded the Green Bank High School with the graded school being in the same building. The first levy of money 
called for enough money to build the part known a few years ago as the high school part, which extended from the 
front of the building to the present end of the press room. At first high school and grades were taught in the same 
part, but as enrollment increased the building was extended to the beginning of the gymnasium, and a few yean 
later the gym and the rooms above it were erected. This last was completed in 1926. 

Quite a dispute was aroused over the location of the building, so it was submitted to a popular vote. The 
main candidates for the election were Cass. Dunmore, Durbin, and Green Bank, with the latter coming in ahead 
with a fair majority. 

The first term of school opened in the fall of 1918 with a small enrollment. The first principal was W. P. 
Haught of Bristol. W. Va., with Miss Lucy Meredith. Margaret Hunt, and Lillian Moomau as assistants. 

The first graduate of the school in 1919 was Grace Currym who had attended Marlinton for three years, hi 
the year 1920. there were five graduates: Virginia Dare Moomau. Helen Beard. Bertie Beard. Lillian Beard, and 
Lucille Oliver. In 1921 there were ten graduates, fifteen in 1922. fourteen in 1923, nineteen in 1924. and so on. 

N. Phay Taylor, the second principal, was succeeded by T. P. Harwood, who served nine years as principal. 
Mr. Harwood was replaced in 1931 by John Roach who served four years. In 1936, Claude A. McMillion became 
principal and served until his death in the spring of 1945 when Mr. Mack Brooks. Assistant County Superintendent, 
served until the end of the term. In the fall of 1945. Mr. Virgil B. Harris of Gassaway. W. Va., became principal 
and has served ever since. 
 Brief Highlights: Basketball started early in the school's history; football not until 1926 - first touchdown for 
the school was made by Olcn Hiner in a game with White Sulphur. Home Ecomomics was installed about three 
years after the founding of the school. The FHA Club was organized in 1930 and is one of the oldest in the state. 
In 1930. a separate Vo-Ag building was constructed; the following year, a hugh garage. Hot Lunch Program for 
Green Bank was made and steam was installed. In 1944 the GHS Band was organized under the direction of Anna 
Margaret Johnson. In 1946 a new floor was laid in the gym and a new heating system installed. Pocahontas County 
added a County Music Supervision in 1948, Miss Dorothy McNeel served as supervisor. 

The Homecoming in 1952 was attended by a large crowd, approximately five hundred alumni. Festivities for 
the Homecoming celebration consisted of a football game between Webster Springs and Green Bank High Schools. 
The crowning of the King and Queen took place between halves. That evening, the Alumni Dance was held in 
the school auditorium. The largest crowd to ever attend a homecoming was in 1953, when approximately a thou¬ 
sand alumni returned for the festivities. The 1954 Homecoming Festivities were marred by rain. Inspite of the 
damp weather, a large number of alumni returned to visit their Alma Mater. 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

History of Pocahontas County Book

  A History of Pocahontas County: From Ancient Trails to the Iron Horse Introduction: The Mountain Crucible The history of Pocahontas County...

Shaker Posts