Here is the word-for-word transcript corresponding to the audio segments captured from the meeting recording:
**** at 1:30 p.m. So a couple of things on the agenda we have is changing the bank's signatures, and so,
**** Maya, do you have that information, or—
**** I do. I just have the paper this time, um, where there's a lot of signature spots.
**** So would we need to bring a motion to vote on that?
**** Yes. Should—yes.
**** Okay, I bring a motion to vote on the signatures for the banking. Do I hear a second?
**** Second.
**** We have a second. Any uh conversation about it? Any questions or answers?
**** We're making Maya the treasurer signature, right?
**** Right. Yes.
**** Okay. Mhm.
**** Okay, those all in favor raise your right hand, please. Thank you. Motion carried.
**** People voted for it. Okay, so do I need to sign these now or can we—
**** You can wait till the end.
**** Proceed.
**** Okay, and I guess the uh next thing on the agenda would be the applications for our office person. One of the reasons why I requested that was because Mr. Henderson said that um we don't need to have the board interview and hire, but according to our bylaws, we do have the responsibility of hiring and um terminating employees.
**** Employees, right. But according to our personnel policies we've always followed—and I think it's really ironic that y'all want to follow bylaws now and you didn't the other night, but that aside—
**** We did follow—
**** No, you didn't. We had an election. It's been January, but anyway. Job description right here and our personnel—maybe never looked this book.
**** Uh, that was not offered to me. Uh, I mean, I have met with a locked door when I came to the offices, so—
**** Well, well, you can talk about that. According to our job to this, Maya is responsible for hiring the girl in there.
**** That's not in the bylaws.
**** No, it's not. That's not in the bylaws.
**** Well, the bylaws doesn't say she is either. I mean, it doesn't say she is or not. It says we should hire qualified people, and if you know how to delegate, that's what we do. We hire qualified manager, then that manager hires the people under them, and they're responsible for those people. That's not the board's job.
**** We understand that. We interviewed her. Is it really fair to Maya to put all that responsibility on her—
**** Yes.
**** —to hire someone and then if it doesn't work out come back and blame her as a new employee?
**** I don't blame her. She's going to get the person she wants to work with.
**** It says right here: the PCSWA will maintain a qualified staff and employ, terminate individuals as needed to maintain the service and keep the operation of the land and green boxes up to standards. I'm sorry, I'm speaking to the people—
**** Oh, sorry.
**** —because they're the ones we're here to represent.
**** Sorry, I know about representing the people. I've been doing it for over 20 years.
**** I didn't feel that when I sat on that side. So we are following exactly word-for-word what the bylaws say, that we are to employ or terminate.
**** It's really ironic that they want to follow the bylaws now and not in the previous meeting. You just completely disregarded the bylaws.
**** But we didn't.
**** So why are you going to pick out now and follow them?
**** Listen, we did not do that. You disregarded them, and besides that, you completely disregarded—on point and honest with you, just like we're trying to work with Chris—
**** Would you please be still? I'm talking.
**** Okay, we're representing the people.
**** Yes, I do. That's what we're all doing. Let me give you a little explanation here. Maybe you don't understand it because—
**** Let me tell you something: if the old board had done our jobs, we wouldn't be sitting here today.
**** Oh, no, that's not true.
**** Yes, it is.
**** No, it's not.
**** But here's the thing. That is just like we're trying to work with Chris and trying to work with Maya. There are so many things wrong, just like with the DE inspection, too. Did you think that was up-to-date? We are trying to work with these people to let them know that we're here, we care for him, we care for you, we care for uh Chris. He knows that we're there to help.
**** No, it isn't, or we wouldn't be in the shape we're in today.
**** Okay, so you've been—
**** Mr. Anderson, would you be still, or—
**** Maybe the floor—
**** No, you're not.
**** All right, you want to bet?
**** Yes, I do.
**** You want to bet? All right, then you be still while I speak. I want to bet. Because now then, you made me lose my train of thought. Okay, if something drastic goes wrong at the landfill, just like the inspection, who is ultimately responsible? Who's responsible? The board. Okay, that's why we want to be part of it.
**** Well, sure. If something bad happens in the office, who is responsible? Well, ultimately the board is.
**** Exactly. That's why we want to be—that's why we are going to Maya, that's why we're going to Chris to explain to them we're here to help, we want to do the right thing. But by the same token, we expect you to do the right thing about something to work with.
**** Always have. We will provide—
**** Always have done the right thing. Did you get the uh bucket that they needed up at the landfill so bad a year or two ago?
**** The what?
**** The bucket.
**** Bucket? What kind of bucket?
**** Bucket for machinery. You mean the track for the track loader?
**** He was told we don't have the money. What about the pumps for there? And what about the pumps? What are you going to do about it?
**** The aer—had the aerator—
**** I know that. What did you do about it?
**** We can't do anything about it, Gail. If your water is good, what you do in that situation, if your water samples are good and you don't have much money like we do, you don't do anything about—that's what you—
**** Let me tell you something: I run the town of Hillsboro. I run our sewer system and water system, and I know that if you need an aerator, you need an aerator. If you got one bad, it needs to be fixed. Now look, I'm not going to sit here and argue with you all day, but I'm not going to take any crap off of you either, you understand?
**** Oh, I got you.
**** All right, I'm not going to take any crap. We have business. We have business to take care of.
**** I'm trying to explain to you how to do it right.
**** Uh, we're not doing it your way. We're doing it our way.
**** Well, you're going to do it the right way.
**** We are. We are.
**** Regular either, so we just throw out all these policies?
**** I make a motion to the board hiring the um secretary that is needed according to our Solid Waste Authority bylaws.
**** Okay, we have a motion. Do I hear a second?
**** Second.
**** Can I bring some more discussion on this?
**** Okay, discussion.
**** We need to follow our personnel policies.
**** We're following the bylaws.
**** And you didn't follow those the other night. Why are we going to follow—
**** No, you didn't. It says somebody say—what does it say about elections? Where does it say January? Where does it say nobody can be removed? Does it say—
**** Exactly. And you know what state code says?
**** What does it say?
**** "Shall serve one year," is what it says. Google give you the wrong info.
**** Well, the state didn't give me the wrong information, and they told me to start acting like a board and vote. And that's what we—
**** Okay, I'm going to call—I'm going to control this meeting, and if you keep interrupting, I'm going to go get Troy to take you out of here, do you understand?
**** No, you're not. I'm on the board. You're not—
**** One more outburst—
**** I'll show you what I want to say.
**** Well, you're going to be normal about it. You're going to be human.
**** I'm trying. I'm just trying—
**** I've already told you we're not going by that. We're going by the bylaws.
**** So we're just going to throw this whole—
(Audio skips/gap from meeting recording)
**** in this, and that's that's fine. But we're—but as far as hiring goes, it would be impossible to call people on a Friday and expect them to show up on a Wednesday, Thursday. I mean, they have—if it's somebody who has a job, they have to work around that. That's impossible. I say—
**** I don't know how how you want to put it up, but I'd be 100% for letting her hire someone because you got to have help in there. Nancy, I'm—I understand where you're coming from, and right now you're pulling your help from the landfill, so you're cutting everybody short. So you know, it's—
**** But you've sat and looked through my—you've sat and looked through my resumes. I mean, I don't think there was anybody that I was looking at that you thought was underqualified, or—
**** Oh, I thought one was underqualified. She didn't say anything, um, and I had questions about that one, but there was no sense. But there's other candidates that were good, so I didn't say anything because I know that's an unlikely situation for that person. Um—
**** Well, everybody said what they're going to say about it. So do we have a motion one way or the other?
**** I move we let Maya go ahead and hire an office assistant.
**** We have a motion to hire an office assistant. Do we have a second?
**** I'm going to have to second it because, like you said, we got to get somebody in here. That's—
**** That's the only thing I'm saying. That's the only thing I'm saying.
**** I think it's a mistake, but let's vote. All in favor raise your right hand. Take one.
**** Jacob, did you want to say something? Because I—you didn't get—I was just asking because you didn't get time to sign in if you wanted to.
**** Yep, anybody here if they got anything to say, you're welcome.
**** And that be pending your your quick approval by you in that motion? Now what was that again? That was someone you would like to hire, can't you quickly have—
**** Yes. Yes.
**** Does that "pending your approval," does that mean have to be part of the motion?
**** Well, it could be, but—
**** Or we could amend the motion.
**** I I'll amend it if y'all would like.
**** Yeah, that against—
**** Yeah, approval too. That's a compromise that might just be something that saved your bank.
**** Amen.
**** Move that we let Maya hire the office assistant, and then she brings it to us for final approval at our regular board—
**** We have a second on that?
**** Second.
**** All in favor raise right hand.
**** At the regular—I know that just delays anybody.
**** No, she can call us. She can go ahead, she can hire in, do whatever. Email. You got to have help in there. I mean, it's not fair to you.
**** I do. The only thing I need from the board is a pay range. That's what I need. I know what the job—I know what the job pays, but what what does that pay to? I know what Ashley was making when she left. I I never did—
**** She had experience, though.
**** Yeah, she has some experience. She's 17.
**** 17.
**** Personally, I don't think in today's world if you want someone to come and you're going to keep them, you have to pay them something.
**** I agree with that.
**** I think at least 15.
**** I think I'm thinking 17.
**** Got people working at the landfill that's been there for years.
**** We're going to try to address that. We're aware of that.
**** Well, you know what cures all the problems that we have is money.
**** Oh, we know that. Yeah, that's what—
**** And I I wouldn't even be opposed to you guys saying a rate and then it would go up at a a date or something.
**** 16.50 and then after 90-day probation, 17.
**** You keep looking to Dave.
**** I'm looking at everybody. I'm looking at all of you. I made eye contact with all of you.
**** Okay, so that's settled. Do we have anything else? No, nobody else has anything to ask? Do I hear a motion to adjourn?
**** Motion to adjourn.
**** Second.
**** Second. All in favor raise your right hand.

No comments:
Post a Comment