Search This Blog

I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now

The lyrics provided are from the traditional gospel classic "I Wouldn't Take Nothin' for My Journey Now" (popularized by artists such as The Happy Goodman Family and Shirley Caesar).

Here is an analysis of the core imagery used throughout the text:

  • The Pilgrim's Journey / Pathway: The central metaphor frames life and faith as a long, arduous walking journey ("started out travellin' for the Lord many years ago"). Heaven serves as the ultimate destination, evoking classic spiritual pilgrimage motifs where the road requires steadfast endurance.

  • The Adversary at the Crossroads: The devil is depicted as a physical obstacle or companion on the road who actively attempts to "turn me around." This creates dynamic motion imagery—forward progress toward salvation versus being physically intercepted or redirected toward perdition.

  • Worldly Currency vs. Divine Worth: Imagery of material goods ("all the wealth I want," "worldly fame," "silver and gold") is sharply contrasted against spiritual currency. Wealth and possessions are framed as empty bribes that cannot purchase divine grace ("wouldn't buy a touch from above").

  • Physical Stumbling and Kneeling: The phrase "when I would stumble, then I would humble down" employs kinetic and physical imagery. A slip or misstep on the path does not lead to defeat; instead, it transitions directly into the posture of prayer, submission, and restoration.

  • Physical and Spiritual Healing: The line "when the soul needs healin' and I begin to feelin' His power" uses tactile imagery. Spiritual grace is felt as a tangible, restorative sensation—an antidote to the heavy emotional burdens described as "grief and woe."

"I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now / Gotta make it to Heaven somehow / Though the devil tempt me and he tried to turn me around / He's offered everything that's got a name"
— "I Wouldn't Take Nothin' for My Journey Now"

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lyrics
… Well, I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now
Gotta make it to Heaven somehow
Though the devil tempt me and he tried to turn me around
He's offered everything that's got a name
All the wealth I want and worldly fame
If I could, still I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now
 

The lyrics provided are from the traditional gospel classic "I Wouldn't Take Nothin' for My Journey Now" (popularized by artists such as The Happy Goodman Family and Shirley Caesar).

Here is an analysis of the core imagery used throughout the text:

  • The Pilgrim's Journey / Pathway: The central metaphor frames life and faith as a long, arduous walking journey ("started out travellin' for the Lord many years ago"). Heaven serves as the ultimate destination, evoking classic spiritual pilgrimage motifs where the road requires steadfast endurance.

  • The Adversary at the Crossroads: The devil is depicted as a physical obstacle or companion on the road who actively attempts to "turn me around." This creates dynamic motion imagery—forward progress toward salvation versus being physically intercepted or redirected toward perdition.

  • Worldly Currency vs. Divine Worth: Imagery of material goods ("all the wealth I want," "worldly fame," "silver and gold") is sharply contrasted against spiritual currency. Wealth and possessions are framed as empty bribes that cannot purchase divine grace ("wouldn't buy a touch from above").

  • Physical Stumbling and Kneeling: The phrase "when I would stumble, then I would humble down" employs kinetic and physical imagery. A slip or misstep on the path does not lead to defeat; instead, it transitions directly into the posture of prayer, submission, and restoration.

  • Physical and Spiritual Healing: The line "when the soul needs healin' and I begin to feelin' His power" uses tactile imagery. Spiritual grace is felt as a tangible, restorative sensation—an antidote to the heavy emotional burdens described as "grief and woe."

"I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now / Gotta make it to Heaven somehow / Though the devil tempt me and he tried to turn me around / He's offered everything that's got a name" — "I Wouldn't Take Nothin' for My Journey Now" 


… Well, I started out travellin' for the Lord many years ago
I've had a lot of heartache and I met a lot of grief and woe
But when I would stumble, then I would humble down
And there I'd say, I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now
 
 
This verse is from the beloved Southern gospel classic "I Wouldn't Take Nothin' for My Journey Now," written by Jimmie Davis and Charles Cook and famously performed by artists such as The Happy Goodman Family and Shirley Caesar.

Meaning and Themes

  • Perseverance Through Hardship: The song reflects on a lifetime of faith, acknowledging that walking a spiritual path does not exempt someone from sorrow, trials, or grief.

  • Humility and Grace: When faced with moments of weakness or failure ("stumble"), the singer responds through prayer and submission ("humble down"), finding renewed strength rather than giving up.

  • Incomparable Value of Faith: The central message is that despite every difficulty encountered along the way, the spiritual rewards and personal growth make the journey entirely worthwhile—nothing the world offers could replace it.

"Well, I started out travellin' for the Lord many years ago

I've had a lot of heartache and I met a lot of grief and woe

But when I would stumble, then I would humble down

And there I'd say, I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now"

— The Happy Goodman Family / Jimmie Davis & Charles Cook


… I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now
Gotta make it to Heaven somehow
Though the devil tempt me and he tried to turn me around
He's offered everything that's got a name
All the wealth I want and worldly fame
If I could, still I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now

… Oh, there's nothin' in this world that'll ever take the place of God's love
All the silver and gold wouldn't buy a touch from above
When the soul needs healin' and I begin to feelin' His power
Then I can say, thank the Lord, I wouldn't take nothing for my journey now
 
This verse comes from the gospel standard "I Wouldn't Take Nothin' for My Journey Now," composed by Jimmie Davis and Charles Cook.

Meaning and Themes

  • The Insufficiency of Material Wealth: The verse directly contrasts earthly riches—"silver and gold"—with divine favor, declaring that no amount of worldly currency can purchase spiritual grace, peace, or salvation.

  • Spiritual Renewal and Healing: It focuses on the inner restorative experience of faith. When emotional exhaustion or spiritual weariness sets in, divine power provides a tangible sense of renewal and comfort.

  • Gratitude as Endurance: Feeling that divine touch reaffirms the believer's conviction, turning the memory of hardships into an expression of thanksgiving.

"Oh, there's nothin' in this world that'll ever take the place of God's love

All the silver and gold wouldn't buy a touch from above

When the soul needs healin' and I begin to feelin' His power

Then I can say, thank the Lord, I wouldn't take nothing for my journey now"

— Jimmie Davis & Charles Cook
 

… Oh, I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now
Gotta make it to Heaven somehow
Though the devil tempts me and he tried to turn me around
He's offered everything that's got a name
All the wealth I want and worldly fame
If I could, still I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now
No, no, no

… Oh, I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now
I've gotta make it to Heaven somehow
Though the devil tempt me and he tried to turn me around
You know he's offered everything that's got a name
All the wealth I want and worldly fame
If I could, still I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now
If I could, still I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

analyze and build graphics for each verse:… Well, I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now

Gotta make it to Heaven somehow

Though the devil tempt me and he tried to turn me around

He's offered everything that's got a name

All the wealth I want and worldly fame

If I could, still I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now


… Well, I started out travellin' for the Lord many years ago

I've had a lot of heartache and I met a lot of grief and woe

But when I would stumble, then I would humble down

And there I'd say, I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now


… I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now

Gotta make it to Heaven somehow

Though the devil tempt me and he tried to turn me around

He's offered everything that's got a name

All the wealth I want and worldly fame

If I could, still I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now


… Oh, there's nothin' in this world that'll ever take the place of God's love

All the silver and gold wouldn't buy a touch from above

When the soul needs healin' and I begin to feelin' His power

Then I can say, thank the Lord, I wouldn't take nothing for my journey now


… Oh, I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now

Gotta make it to Heaven somehow

Though the devil tempts me and he tried to turn me around

He's offered everything that's got a name

All the wealth I want and worldly fame

If I could, still I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now

No, no, no


… Oh, I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now

I've gotta make it to Heaven somehow

Though the devil tempt me and he tried to turn me around

You know he's offered everything that's got a name

All the wealth I want and worldly fame

If I could, still I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now

If I could, still I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I Wouldn't Take Nothin' for My Journey Now" is a classic gospel hymn written by Jimmie Davis and Charles F. Goodman, famously recorded by artists such as The Happy Goodman Family and Shirley Caesar.

As the hymn declares:

"Well, I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now

Gotta make it to Heaven somehow

Though the devil tempt me and he tried to turn me around

He's offered everything that's got a name..."

Themes and Meaning

  • Spiritual Resilience and Perseverance: The central message is an unwavering commitment to faith. The journey represents the believer's earthly walk with God, facing hardships, grief, and temptation without turning back or giving up.

  • Temptation vs. Eternal Value: The song contrasts worldly wealth, fame, and material allure with spiritual salvation. No worldly offer is worth trading for the destination of Heaven.

  • Humility and Grace: When stumbling or facing sorrow, the traveler learns humility and relies on divine power for inner healing and strength. The trials endure are seen as valuable steps that deepen gratitude and faith.

Visual Concepts and Graphic Ideas by Verse / Section

If you are designing graphics, lyric slides, or visual storyboards for these sections, here are conceptual directions and visual prompts:

1. The Chorus (Determination & Temptation)

  • Core Motif: The Crossroads / The Narrow Gate.

  • Visual Elements:

    • A solitary traveler walking along a rugged, upward-sloping mountain path leading toward radiant golden light on the horizon.

    • In the periphery or shadows, alluring symbols of worldly wealth (stacks of gold coins, grand silhouettes of modern cities, fame markers) appearing faint, hollow, or cast in muted tones compared to the brilliant light ahead.

  • Color Palette: Warm amber and radiant white contrasting against deep shadow tones (navy, charcoal).

  • Typography: Bold, resolute serif or slab-serif font emphasizing strength and conviction.

2. Verse 1 (The Long Road & Humility)

  • Core Motif: Storms, Kneeling, and Endurance.

  • Visual Elements:

    • A path marked by rain and uneven stones, showing worn footprints.

    • A silhouette of a figure kneeling in prayer beneath clearing storm clouds, with a single ray of sunlight breaking through directly onto them.

  • Color Palette: Slate gray, cool blues, transitioning into soft dawn light.

  • Typography: Elegant, weathered lettering that conveys time, endurance, and grace.

3. Verse 2 (The Incomparable Worth of God's Love)

  • Core Motif: Divine Healing & Invaluable Light.

  • Visual Elements:

    • Gentle, luminous beams descending from above into open, upward-turned hands.

    • Ghostly or fading outlines of precious metals and earthly treasures placed in the background, dissolving into light to show their lack of true permanence.

  • Color Palette: Heavenly gold, warm cream, and soft sky blue.

  • Typography: Uplifting, flowing script or refined serif with generous letter-spacing.

You can find the full, licensed lyrics by searching for "I Wouldn't Take Nothin' for My Journey Now lyrics" on Google or major lyric platforms.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

create an image: 

 


 Canvas:  build a slide deck from the lyrics:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Journey Pub

      Why a Traditional Gospel Classic Holds the Ultimate Blueprint for Modern Resilience: 4 Powerful Lessons from "I Wouldn't Take...

Shaker Posts