Industrial, Spatial, and Ecclesiastical History of the Upper Greenbrier Valley: Cass and Bartow, West Virginia
The upper Greenbrier Valley of Pocahontas County, West Virginia, represents an exceptional landscape of Appalachian industrialization, corporate paternalism, racial stratification, and subsequent historic preservation. Throughout the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries, the extractive economies of virgin timber and railroad expansion reshaped both the physical topography and the social fabric of settlements such as Cass and Bartow.
Historical Evolution of Industrial Logging and the Mower Lumber Company at Cass
The industrial origin of Cass dates to the late 1890s, driven by the expanding demand for red spruce pulp in modern industrial papermaking1. William Luke and his sons, founders of the West Virginia Pulp & Paper Company (WVaP&PCo, later Westvaco), established large chemical paper mills at Luke, Maryland, in 1892, and Covington, Virginia, in 19001. Seeking vast fiber reserves, John G. Luke acquired over 67,000 acres of virgin red spruce and northern hardwood timber on Cheat Mountain and within the Shavers Fork watershed in 18992. In April 1899, Luke purchased a 136-acre agricultural tract along the Greenbrier River at the mouth of Leatherbark Creek to serve as the shipping terminus and operations hub, naming the community after company vice president Joseph K. Cass1.
Timber and sawmill specialist Samuel E. Slaymaker partnered with the Lukes under the subsidiary West Virginia Spruce Lumber Company (WVSL) to exploit not only pulpwood but also high-grade dimensional hardwood and spruce lumber2. Slaymaker installed Emory P. Shaffer as general superintendent in March 1900 to oversee mill construction and civic development2. The town site developed rapidly, predating the arrival of the Chesapeake & Ohio (C&O) Railway’s Greenbrier Division, which completed trackage into Cass on December 22, 19002. Commercial log shipments began in January 1901, followed by standard passenger rail services2.
By June 1942, facing the depletion of virgin tracts and restructuring corporate priorities toward southern pine, WVaP&PCo sold its Cass sawmill, town infrastructure, and Cheat Mountain logging railroad to the Mower Lumber Company, owned by Charleston lumberman Edwin Mower1. Mower transitioned logging practices toward cutting second-growth timber across Cheat Mountain and the Shavers Fork basin1. Rising extraction costs, thinning stands, and competition from alternative construction materials made rail-dependent mountain logging increasingly unprofitable by the late 1950s. On July 1, 1960, the Mower Lumber Company abruptly shuttered all sawmill and rail-logging operations1.
The rail lines, machinery, and equipment were conveyed to a salvage operator, the Midwest Raleigh Corporation, for dismantling and scrapping4. However, local conservationists and rail historians, led by Pennsylvania rail enthusiast Russell Baum, successfully lobbied the West Virginia State Legislature to preserve the historic geared steam locomotives and mountain trackage4. In 1961, the State of West Virginia established Cass Scenic Railroad State Park, launching passenger tourist excursions behind geared Shay locomotives in 19632. In December 1976, the state acquired the company town itself, subsequently renovating the historic corporate worker houses into state park cabins and preserving the municipal district as a living museum of Appalachian timber history1.
Operational Era | Primary Operating Entity | Resource Extraction Profile | Physical Infrastructure |
1900–1942 | West Virginia Pulp & Paper Co. (WVSL) | Old-growth red spruce, hemlock, Appalachian hardwoods | Double-band mill, pulp shed, planing mills, dry kilns, 1914 extract plant, geared Shay rail network |
1942–1960 | Mower Lumber Company | Second-growth hardwood and spruce timber | Rebuilt 1922 mill complex, geared locomotives, contract truck/rail log transfer |
1961–Present | State of West Virginia (Division of Natural Resources) | Heritage tourism, historical railway preservation | Living historic district, geared Shay excursion lines, preserved industrial ruins, cabin rentals |
Engineering and Decline of the Cass Sawmill Complex
The Cass industrial complex was designed to process large quantities of Appalachian timber with continuous mechanical efficiency1. The initial mill, which began operating in January 1902, was built as a double-band sawmill2. Band saws, consisting of continuous toothed steel loops running on motorized wheels, operated with narrower kerfs than circular saws, conserving raw lumber while dramatically increasing sawing velocity4. The mill operated on a dual 11-hour shift schedule, producing 125,000 board feet per shift—equating to 250,000 board feet daily and approximately 35 million board feet annually during peak operations2.
Adjacent to the primary mill frame stood an extensive network of supportive industrial facilities. A massive mill pond fed by the Greenbrier River and Leatherbark Creek received logs from rail cars for floating, washing, and sorting7. A structural steel boiler house and adjacent brick electrical powerhouse generated steam power and electric utility services for both industrial equipment and company residences2. Seasoning was handled by a battery of brick steam-drying kilns, while secondary manufacturing occurred within large planing mills and dedicated flooring facilities2. To utilize forestry byproducts, a chemical tanning extract plant was constructed between 1913 and 1915 south of the main mill, converting waste hemlock and spruce bark into liquid tannin extract for the commercial leather industry2.
In February 1922, a major fire destroyed the primary double-band sawmill, several outbuildings, and lumber storage yards2. Superintendent Shaffer oversaw an immediate reconstruction completed between 1922 and 1923, outfitting the replacement structure with higher-capacity sawing equipment and expanded fire-suppression systems, including dedicated high-pressure water mains linked to the river pump house2. Over its 58-year operational lifespan, the mill complex processed an estimated 1.2 to 1.25 billion board feet of lumber2. Following abandonment in July 1960, the vacant mill superstructure deteriorated7. In the 1980s, arson fires destroyed the remaining wooden framing of the 1922 mill7. Today, the site features preserved industrial ruins, including the brick dry kilns, the metal boiler house, concrete foundation bulkheads, and the historic railroad machine shops7.
Industrial Feature | Specification / Metric | Functional Role in Lumber Operations |
Initial Operation | January 1902 | Processing virgin red spruce and Appalachian hardwoods2 |
Shift Capacity | 125,000 board feet (11-hour shift) | Continuous dual-shift primary milling2 |
Annual Capacity | ~35,000,000 board feet | High-output regional production hub2 |
Total Lifetime Cut | 1.2 to 1.25 billion board feet | Aggregate operational output (1902–1960)2 |
Structural Rebuild | 1922–1923 | Total reconstruction following February 1922 fire2 |
Ancillary Extract Plant | Operational 1914–1925 (bark peeling) | Tannin extraction from hemlock and spruce bark2 |
Final Closure | July 1, 1960 | Permanent termination of Mower logging operations1 |
Transportation Networks: Leatherbark Ford and the Bridges of Cass
The rugged terrain of the upper Greenbrier Valley required a multi-tiered transportation network combining primitive river crossings, standard-gauge logging railways, and civil bridge structures to facilitate industrial mobility.
Before permanent bridges spanned the Greenbrier River, vehicular, teamster, and pedestrian traffic between the eastern farming settlements—such as Green Bank and Arbovale—and the nascent mill site relied entirely on the Leatherbark Ford2. This natural shallow-water crossing was situated near the confluence of Leatherbark Creek and the Greenbrier River1. Heavy wagons carrying early machinery and camp supplies from the railhead in Staunton, Virginia, negotiated this ford to supply Camp No. 1 and early construction crews prior to the completion of the C&O line2.
As Cass expanded into a dual settlement—the corporate town on the west bank and the unregulated Brooklyn district on the east—pedestrian mobility required dedicated infrastructure2. The company erected a wire suspension footbridge over the Greenbrier River, allowing workers and residents to commute between the passenger depot, company store, and east-bank commercial establishments2. To support heavy freight and vehicular travel, the county and industrial partners constructed a one-lane iron through-truss bridge over the Greenbrier River, linking State Route 66 directly to East Cass2. This iron bridge became a central landmark in Cass, carrying automobile and truck traffic while enduring frequent seasonal river flooding11.
As modern highway systems expanded through Pocahontas County in the mid-twentieth century, concrete deck bridges and reinforced abutments replaced older timber trestles along road approaches and local streams. Across Leatherbark Creek, early logging rail lines initially crossed on timber stringers and log cribbing built over wet bottomlands in 19017. Due to the increasing weight of modern Shay locomotives, log flatcars, and coal tenders, the timber stringer rail crossings over Leatherbark Creek were systematically replaced by permanent steel and reinforced structures in 19597.
Socio-Spatial Topography of Cass: Company Paternalism and Sub-Districts
The physical layout of Cass served as a visible blueprint of corporate paternalism and class hierarchy2. Under long-time general superintendent Emory P. Shaffer, the West Virginia Pulp & Paper Company maintained strict spatial, social, and economic control over the town site2.
The lower valley floor adjacent to the C&O mainline, designated as Downtown, served as the logistical and commercial core2. It housed the two-story brick and frame Cass Company Store—one of the largest mercantile establishments in West Virginia, which filled daily grocery orders via delivery wagons—alongside the company meat market, corporate payroll offices, and the C&O passenger and freight depot2.
Perched on the rising hillside directly above the mill and tracks, the Uptown district comprised more than 50 standardized, two-story, wood-frame family dwellings2. These homes accommodated white skilled labor, including sawyers, millwrights, machinists, locomotive engineers, and company clerks2. The company provided piped running water and delivered heating coal directly to backyard sheds2. Two-hole privies were standard across all backyards, serviced monthly by a municipal "honey wagon"2. Picket fences enclosed each yard to keep free-roaming dairy cattle out of private vegetable gardens, while elevated wooden boardwalks kept pedestrians above the muddy, unpaved streets2.
Located north of Uptown on an elevated knoll, the management enclave was officially unnamed by the company but universally known by working-class townsfolk as "Big Bug Hill"2. This neighborhood was reserved exclusively for the plant superintendent, chief foresters, head physicians, and visiting corporate executives2. An unwritten rule dictated that common laborers could not enter the area unless explicitly summoned on official business2. The architectural centerpiece of this district was the Luke Mansion, constructed in 1916 for Charles Luke and later occupied by Superintendent Shaffer for nearly two decades2. Houses on Big Bug Hill were equipped with interior indoor plumbing as early as 1919, alongside manicured lawns and private recreational facilities2. A tennis court for management children was built directly over an early potter’s field after the remains of several immigrant laborers were exhumed and relocated2.
Situated south of the primary company town near the 1914 tanning extract plant and Ralston Hill, Slabtown was a residential enclave for lower-tier laborers2. It derived its name from the construction materials used: early housing units, sheds, fences, and outbuildings in this district were built using rough, unedged exterior timber cuts ("slabs") discarded during the initial squaring of logs at the sawmill2.
East Cass: Saloons, Labor Amusements, and the Spatial Economy of Vice
Across the Greenbrier River from Company Cass lay the unincorporated settlement of East Cass, originally platted and developed under the name "Brooklyn"2. In 1906, a catastrophic fire destroyed nearly all of Brooklyn, after which the rebuilt community became known as East Cass2.
The existence of East Cass was an unintended consequence of corporate planning: WVaP&PCo failed to purchase the land parcels on the eastern bank of the river during its initial 1899 acquisitions2. Superintendent Shaffer enforced strict temperance and behavioral policies across company-owned territory, prohibiting alcoholic beverages, gambling, prostitution, and public disorder2. Consequently, private entrepreneurs developed the east bank into an unregulated commercial center that catered directly to the timber workforce2.
At any given time, more than 1,000 "wood hicks"—loggers who spent weeks or months in isolated Cheat Mountain logging camps felling spruce in harsh weather—descended to Cass via the log trains upon receiving their pay2. In East Cass, they engaged in the "blow in," a ritual of heavy spending2. The primary street in East Cass, dubbed "Dirty Street," and its adjoining commercial strip, known as "Hell's Acre," featured:
- Numerous saloons and speakeasies receiving regular shipments of bottled beer and barreled whiskey via the C&O Railway2.
- Pool rooms, shooting galleries, bowling alleys, and a dedicated sparring ring2.
- Gambling halls, brothels, and opium and narcotic dens2.
- Essential commercial service providers, including dry goods merchants, boarding houses, restaurants, and barbershops2.
Because it lay outside corporate jurisdiction, civil law enforcement had a minimal presence in East Cass2. The municipal town sergeant and special company policemen hired in April 1903 had limited authority across the river, stepping in primarily when violence threatened corporate operations or crossed the bridges into Company Cass2. Brawling, shootings, robberies, and alcohol-related fatalities were frequent in East Cass, creating an environment that occasionally discouraged skilled married tradesmen from settling in the valley2.
The Culture and Function of Barbering in Cass
Barbershops held a significant cultural and hygienic role in the frontier timber economy2. For woods hicks arriving from high-elevation logging camps, visiting a barbershop was the primary step in the process of "getting civil"2. After months of labor without modern sanitary amenities, loggers routinely checked into an East Cass hotel, paid for a hot bath, received a professional haircut and straight-razor shave, and purchased clean work clothes before entering the saloons, dining halls, or pool rooms2.
Multiple independent barbers operated along Dirty Street in East Cass during the boom era2. Within the company-owned town, a traditional single-chair barber shop was established to serve company managers, mill workers, and town residents8.
A central figure in local barbering history was Lefty Meeks, who began cutting hair in Cass in 1950 after leasing dedicated shop space from the Mower Lumber Company2. Meeks continued his trade through the decline and closure of the mill in 1960 and the subsequent transformation of the town into a state park, cutting hair for over half a century out of the Cass Community Center2.
Race Relations, Segregation, and Education in Cass
The social hierarchy of Cass applied strict spatial and institutional boundaries to race relations:
- Spatial and Residential Segregation: African American families working for WVaP&PCo and the Mower Lumber Company were strictly prohibited from residing in the Uptown worker housing or the management enclave of Big Bug Hill2. The company maintained a limited footprint in East Cass, where it constructed segregated company housing specifically for Black workers and their families2. The company also sited its "pest house"—a quarantine facility for individuals suffering from infectious illnesses like smallpox—in East Cass2. Racial tensions were managed primarily through corporate paternalism, spatial separation across the river, and corporate policing that restricted Black residents' social mobility within the town2.
- Religious Life and Black Baptist Congregations: In Uptown Cass, the company constructed an interdenominational Protestant church designed to serve white Methodist, Presbyterian, and Episcopalian congregations at staggered Sunday service times2. Black residents were excluded from regular membership in this central facility. Instead, African American workers formed their own religious communities, organizing independent Black Baptist and Methodist prayer groups and home missions in East Cass, or traveling to established African American churches in nearby Marlinton and Seebert2.
- Cass Elementary and Grade School: During the town's founding in 1899, corporate planners designated land for a public school2. The Cass Grade School, a two-story frame building located just south of Uptown, accommodated roughly 400 pupils during peak logging operations between 1909 and 19252. This facility served the white children of mill workers, managers, and railroad employees2. As logging populations waned in the mid-twentieth century, the school experienced declining enrollments, leading to consolidation into the northern Pocahontas County school system and the eventual deterioration of the original schoolhouse2.
History of School Desegregation in Pocahontas County
Prior to 1954, West Virginia operated a racially segregated public education system mandated by the 1866 state school law and codified in Article XII, Section 8 of the 1872 West Virginia State Constitution13. In Pocahontas County, the African American population was distributed among timber camps, agricultural valleys, and railroad stops. Elementary education for Black children was provided through separate, segregated one-room schools, including the Seebert Lane Colored School (also known as the Pleasant Green School or Hillsboro Colored School), constructed around 1898 near the junction of U.S. Route 219 and Seebert Road14. Photographer Lewis W. Hine documented the students of Seebert Lane in October 1921 as part of his investigation for the National Child Labor Committee, capturing the resource disparities common to rural minority schools14.
Because Pocahontas County lacked a dedicated secondary school for African Americans, Black students pursuing a high school education faced systemic logistical hurdles. Students were required to commute or board outside the county, primarily attending Bolling High School in Lewisburg, Greenbrier County13. Other regional students traveled to facilities such as Kelly Miller High School in Clarksburg or Sumner High School in Parkersburg, while many ended their formal education at the eighth grade due to boarding expenses13.
Following the United States Supreme Court's ruling in Brown v. Board of Education on May 17, 1954, West Virginia Governor William C. Marland announced that the state would comply with the mandate13. On June 1, 1954, West Virginia Attorney General John G. Fox formally issued an opinion declaring that constitutional and statutory racial segregation in public schools violated the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment13. Pocahontas County complied with the mandate during the 1954–1955 academic year, admitting Black students into formerly all-white elementary and high schools across the county and shuttering segregated facilities like the Seebert Lane School14. Desegregation in Pocahontas County was carried out relatively smoothly and without the overt civil resistance seen in deeper southern jurisdictions13.
History, Platting, and Subdivisions of Bartow, West Virginia
Bartow is an unincorporated community situated in northern Pocahontas County at the junction of U.S. Route 250 and State Route 92, along the East Fork of the Greenbrier River19. Settled during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, the area was initially known as Travelers Repose, named for a historic stagecoach inn along the Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike20. During the American Civil War, the area was strategically contested due to its mountain turnpike passes, culminating in the Battle of Greenbrier River (Camp Bartow) in October 1861, from which the settlement later derived its name.
As the Greenbrier Division of the C&O Railway and regional lumbering enterprises expanded into northern Pocahontas County around 1900, Bartow transitioned from scattered farmland into an organized commercial rail and highway settlement. The town was platted and formally subdivided into regular grid networks of residential and commercial lots21. Pocahontas County land assessment and deed registries confirm this formal layout, with properties legally described by block and lot numbers (such as Lots 17–19 in Block 28, and Lots 7–9 in Block 36 of Bartow)21. These subdivided parcels were purchased by railroad workers, merchants, timber laborers, and independent homebuilders, giving Bartow a distinct municipal footprint compared to the unincorporated agricultural lands surrounding it21.
Ecclesiastical and Funerary History of Bartow and St. Mark's Church
The religious and funerary landscape of Bartow reflects the community's changing demographics and ecclesiastical developments over the past two centuries19.
Origins of St. Mark the Evangelist Mission
St. Mark the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church, located at 92 Catholic Church Road in Bartow, operates as a mission of St. John Neumann Parish in Marlinton within the Roman Catholic Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston19. The mission was consecrated in 197719. Before its Catholic consecration, the facility and grounds were established, owned, and utilized for decades as the local Bartow Methodist Church19. As rural Methodist circuits consolidated in the mid-twentieth century, the property was purchased and converted into a Catholic mission to serve Catholic families residing in northern Pocahontas County19.
The Cemetery at St. Mark’s and Catholic Burials
The cemetery located adjacent to St. Mark the Evangelist Church is the original Methodist churchyard cemetery created during the Protestant era of the property19. The grounds are maintained through parish oversight and local cemetery trust arrangements19. Because the burial ground originated as a nineteenth- and early-twentieth-century Methodist cemetery, the majority of the marked graves belong to local Protestant community families. While Catholic funeral liturgies and Masses of Christian Burial are celebrated inside St. Mark’s Church, deceased Catholic parishioners from Bartow, Arbovale, and surrounding communities are frequently interred in nearby public cemeteries, such as the Arbovale Cemetery, or in established family cemeteries throughout the county26.
Overview of Cemeteries in Bartow
The Bartow area contains several historic cemeteries that document the pioneer, military, and industrial history of northern Pocahontas County:
- Yeager Cemetery: Located at Bartow, this early community burial ground contains the graves of the region's earliest settlers and veterans, including Adam Arbogast (1760–1861), a Revolutionary War soldier who served in the Virginia frontier forces30.
- St. Mark’s Church Cemetery: The churchyard burial ground on Catholic Church Road, containing early local family and Methodist burials19.
- Local and Family Plots: Multiple small family burial grounds (such as the Burner, Arbogast, and related settler plots) occupy the ridges, homesteads, and turnpike passes surrounding Bartow20.
- Arbovale Cemetery: Located nearby along Cemetery Road in Arbovale, this site serves as the primary regional burial facility for families and Catholic parishioners of northern Pocahontas County26.
Cemetery Site | Geographic Location | Historical Affiliation | Funerary and Historical Profile |
St. Mark the Evangelist Cemetery | 92 Catholic Church Rd, Bartow | Methodist (origin) / Catholic (post-1977) | Historic Methodist churchyard; mission consecrated in 1977; maintained via parish/community oversight19. |
Yeager Cemetery | Bartow, WV | Pioneer / Community | Contains graves of frontier settlers and Revolutionary War veterans, including Adam Arbogast30. |
Arbovale Cemetery | Cemetery Rd, Arbovale (adjacent) | Regional / Interdenominational | Primary contemporary and historical burial ground for northern Pocahontas Catholic and Protestant families26. |
Company Potter’s Field (Historical) | Cass (hillside above Uptown) | Industrial / Immigrant | Early timber-laborer burial ground; later relocated to install a management tennis court2. |
Conclusions
The developmental histories of Cass and Bartow illustrate how industrial capital, natural resource extraction, and geographic boundaries shaped the social and physical landscapes of rural West Virginia:
- Industrial Evolution and Preservation: The rise and fall of the West Virginia Pulp & Paper Company and its successor, the Mower Lumber Company, transformed the Cheat Mountain wilderness into a high-output timber extraction network1. The cessation of milling operations in 1960 averted total dismantling through state-sponsored railway and municipal preservation, creating a premier historic state park1.
- Spatial Stratification and Corporate Control: Cass developed as a strictly stratified company town2. Spatial divisions between Uptown, Big Bug Hill, Slabtown, and East Cass reflected class, occupational, and racial boundaries2. While company management strictly enforced temperance and order on its own property, East Cass operated as an unregulated commercial zone of vice and amusement designed to capture the wages of hundreds of logging woods hicks2.
- Racial Segregation and Educational Integration: Pocahontas County operated within the legal segregation frameworks of West Virginia, maintaining segregated residential boundaries in Cass and separate elementary schools such as Seebert Lane2. Following the Brown v. Board of Education decision in 1954, county authorities complied promptly with state directives, peacefully integrating the school system and closing separate facilities13.
- Ecclesiastical Continuity: In Bartow, the transition of the local Methodist church into St. Mark the Evangelist Catholic Mission in 1977 illustrates adaptive reuse in rural Appalachia19. Alongside the preservation of historic pioneer cemeteries like Yeager Cemetery and the living industrial history of Cass, these institutions continue to define the cultural heritage of the upper Greenbrier Valley2.
Works cited
- Cass - e-WV, https://www.wvencyclopedia.org/entries/956
- Cass in Two Nutshells, https://www.msrlha.org/nutshell.html
- Chapter XI – West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company, https://greenbriervalleylogging.net/chapter-eleven/
- Cass Scenic Railroad State Park - Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cass_Scenic_Railroad_State_Park
- About - Cass Historic Museum, https://casshistoricmuseum.wordpress.com/about/
- Cass - Abandoned, https://abandonedonline.net/location/cass/
- Cass Track Guide, https://www.msrlha.org/track-guide.html
- This West Virginia Company Town Feels Eerily Like an Episode of, https://www.fodors.com/world/north-america/usa/west-virginia/experiences/news/staying-in-this-abandoned-company-town-is-like-being-in-an-episode-of-the-twilight-zone
- Cass Scenic Road – Page 7 – Jim Pearson Photography, https://www.jimpearsonphotography.com/category/cass-scenic-road/page/7/
- Abandoned Sawmill Remains, Mower Lumber Company, Cass, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArhRrykLx5Y
- Browse Items (74 total) - Preserving Pocahontas, http://www.pocahontaspreservation.org/omeka/items/browse?tags=Cass&sort_field=Dublin+Core%2CCreator&page=1
- Timber/Timbre: Falling Trees and Rising Voices · Section II, https://omekas.lib.wvu.edu/home/s/timber/page/sectionII-community
- Brown v. Board of Education in West Virginia, https://researchrepository.wvu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6127&context=wvlr
- Seebert Lane Colored School - Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seebert_Lane_Colored_School
- Seebert Lane Colored School Pocahontas County, West Virginia, https://wvculture.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Seebert-lane-colored-school.pdf
- 163 Pocahontas County Stock Photos, High-Res Pictures, and Images, https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/pocahontas-county
- ALBUM SEGREGATED SCHOOLS IN WEST VIRGINIA, https://tpsteachersnetwork.org/shareable-album?task=albums.download&aid=89956&gid=1064
- The Path Towards Desegregation, https://geo.loc.gov/datasets/-the-path-towards-desegregation
- St. Mark the Evangelist Mission | St. Bernard Chapel, https://pocahontascatholic.org/st-mark-the-evangelist-mission/
- S - Red Oak Realty, https://www.property4u.com/php/ide/data/redirect.php?lib=drl&command=datasheet&tbl=:oldpr:sold.db&listingnum=6086
- WV Real Estate Assessment Data - MapWV.gov, https://www.mapwv.gov/Assessment/Detail/?PID=3804023A001900000000
- Pocahontas County Courthouse News: May 1–7, 2026 - The Real WV, https://therealwv.com/2026/05/08/pocahontas-county-courthouse-news-may-1-7-2026/
- History - Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston, https://dwc.org/diocese/administrative/about-the-diocese/history/
- St. Mark the Evangelist Mission | St. Bernard Chapel, https://stbernardchapel.org/st-mark-the-evangelist-mission/
- St. Mark the Evangelist Mission, Bartow, https://dwc.org/directory-listing/st-mark-the-evangelist-mission-bartow/2137/
- Obituary information for Charlie Bryant - Tomblyn Funeral Home, https://www.tomblynfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Charlie-Bryant?obId=42716754
- Charles 'Charlie' Edward Bryant Jr. - The Inter-Mountain, https://www.theintermountain.com/obituaries/2025/06/charles-charlie-edward-bryant-jr-3/
- Diane Elaine Felton Liptak - - The Inter-Mountain, https://www.theintermountain.com/obituaries/2021/03/diane-elaine-felton-liptak/
- Carol Price Obituary (1933 - 2019) - Charleston Gazette-Mail - Legacy, https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/wvgazettemail/name/carol-price-obituary?id=39053004
- Adam Odysseus Arbogast (abt.1760-bef.1852) - WikiTree, https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Arbogast-2
- Veterans at Rest: Known Graves, A-K - 8th Virginia Regiment, https://www.8thvirginia.com/p/veterans-at-rest-known-graves-a-k
