Search This Blog

Thursday, June 6, 2024

A grumpy, cynical dog who secretly loves meow mix

 

A grumpy, cynical dog who secretly loves meow mix.


The indignity of it all. Here I was, Rex, a pedigreed Doberman Pinscher with a coat as black as a moonless night and a jaw that could clamp down on a femur with ease. And what was I subjected to? A bowl overflowing with... beige pebbles. Kibble. Disgusting, nutritionally-bankrupt kibble.

The nerve of Brenda, my human. Did she think I was some mutt off the street, happy to gnaw on these flavorless excuses for sustenance? I let out a dramatic sigh, the kind that would rattle the windows if this flimsy excuse for a house had any. Brenda, bless her clueless heart, just patted my head and cooed, "There you go, champ. All the goodness a growing Doberman needs."

Growing? I was eight years old, Brenda. About as likely to sprout wings and fly as I was to wag my tail at a squirrel. But argue with Brenda? Futile.  She'd launch into a lecture about canine obesity and the importance of a balanced diet. As if the only thing balanced about this kibble was its utter lack of taste.

Now, don't get me wrong. I wasn't above a bit of theatrics. When that snooty poodle, Fifi, pranced by on our walks, I'd make a show of sniffing at a particularly, ahem, ripe patch of grass. Owned that pretentious furball every time. But hunger was a primal urge, and the gnawing in my belly was getting insistent.

Then, there it was. That telltale crinkle of a plastic bag, followed by the unmistakable, heavenly scent of... tuna?  My head whipped towards the kitchen, where Brenda was unloading groceries. My heart, an organ I wouldn't normally admit to possessing, did a little pitter-patter.  Could it be...?

"And for Mittens," Brenda chirped, placing a small bag of food emblazoned with a cartoon cat wearing a jaunty chef's hat beside my kibble bowl, "her favorite Meow Mix!"

Disgust, genuine this time, contorted my muzzle. Cat food? That reeking, fishy concoction fit only for mindless felines who spent their days batting at string and napping in sunbeams?  But the aroma... it was intoxicating.  Shame burned in my chest, hot and prickly.  A Doberman, reduced to craving feline kibble?

As Brenda busied herself putting groceries away, I sidled closer to the offending bag.  No, I wouldn't stoop to that level. I, Rex, would maintain my dignity. Except... my nose twitched.  Just a sniff couldn't hurt, right?

One sniff turned into two, then a tentative lick at a stray kibble that had fallen onto the floor.  My eyes widened.  This... this wasn't bad.  In fact, it was downright delicious!  The salty tang of tuna, the satisfying crunch... shame battled with desire in a fierce internal conflict.

In the end, Brenda's well-meaning but bland kibble won the day. I couldn't risk the humiliation of being caught. But oh, the forbidden thrill of that single kibble of Meow Mix!  A secret pleasure, a tiny rebellion against the tyranny of beige.  I vowed to savor the memory, a delicious, disgraceful indulgence that only I, Rex, the misunderstood Doberman with a surprising penchant for kitty kibble, would ever know.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Timeline of Events

  Timeline of Events 1886 September: Little Levels of White Sulphur District report 200 white and 20 colored pupils in attendance. Huntersv...