Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 27, 2023

For Home School Parents--Reflexive Pronouns

 

Provide research for 6th grade lesson on "reflexive pronouns" Include a 10 question test with a link to a lesson

Research for 6th Grade Lesson on Reflexive Pronouns

What are reflexive pronouns?

Reflexive pronouns are words that refer back to the subject of a sentence. They are used when the subject and the object of a verb are the same.

There are eight reflexive pronouns in English:

  • myself
  • yourself
  • himself
  • herself
  • itself
  • ourselves
  • yourselves
  • themselves

Here are some examples of reflexive pronouns in sentences:

  • I cut myself when I was slicing bread.
  • He taught himself how to play the guitar.
  • She made herself a cup of tea.
  • They hid themselves behind the tree.

When to use reflexive pronouns

Reflexive pronouns are used when the subject and the object of a verb are the same. This can happen when someone does something to themselves or when something happens to itself.

Here are some examples:

  • I washed myself. (The subject is "I" and the object is "myself.")
  • The dog cut itself on the fence. (The subject is "dog" and the object is "itself.")
  • They made themselves lunch. (The subject is "they" and the object is "themselves.")

Reflexive pronouns can also be used with prepositions.

Here are some examples:

  • I talked to myself in the mirror. (The preposition is "to" and the object is "myself.")
  • He kept the secret to himself. (The preposition is "to" and the object is "himself.")
  • She did the project by herself. (The preposition is "by" and the object is "herself.")

Teaching Reflexive Pronouns to 6th Graders

When teaching reflexive pronouns to 6th graders, it is important to start with a clear definition and explanation. You can then provide examples of reflexive pronouns in sentences and have students practice identifying them.

Here are some activities you can use to teach reflexive pronouns to 6th graders:

  • Matching activity: Give students a list of reflexive pronouns and a list of sentences. Have them match the reflexive pronouns to the correct sentences.
  • Fill-in-the-blank activity: Give students sentences with blanks where the reflexive pronouns should go. Have them fill in the blanks with the correct reflexive pronouns.
  • Writing activity: Have students write their own sentences using reflexive pronouns.

10 Question Test on Reflexive Pronouns

  1. What is a reflexive pronoun?
  2. What are the eight reflexive pronouns in English?
  3. When do we use reflexive pronouns?
  4. Give an example of a sentence using a reflexive pronoun.
  5. Give an example of a sentence using a reflexive pronoun with a preposition.
  6. Fill in the blank: I cut ____ when I was slicing bread.
  7. Fill in the blank: He taught ____ how to play the guitar.
  8. Fill in the blank: She made ____ a cup of tea.
  9. Fill in the blank: They hid ____ behind the tree.
  10. Fill in the blank: I talked to ____ in the mirror.

Answers:

  1. A reflexive pronoun is a word that refers back to the subject of a sentence.
  2. The eight reflexive pronouns in English are: myself, yourself, himself, herself, itself, ourselves, yourselves, and themselves.
  3. We use reflexive pronouns when the subject and the object of a verb are the same.
  4. Here is an example of a sentence using a reflexive pronoun: I cut myself when I was slicing bread.
  5. Here is an example of a sentence using a reflexive pronoun with a preposition: I talked to myself in the mirror.
  6. myself
  7. himself
  8. herself
  9. themselves
  10. myself

Link to a Lesson on Reflexive Pronouns:

Reflexive Pronouns - LearnEnglish - British Council: https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/grammar/b1-b2-grammar/reflexive-pronouns

This video lesson provides a clear explanation of reflexive pronouns and gives examples of how to use them in sentences.

https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/grammar/b1-b2-grammar/reflexive-pronouns

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sermon: Confounding the wise

  1 Corinthians 1:27-29: "God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God has chosen the weak things of the worl...